Thursday, July 14, 2011

Are some cultures less offended by skin whitening than others?

I am multiracial(1/2 white, 1/2 black/native mix) so my skin darkens easily. I prefer to keep my skin on the lighter side and I use lots of sunscreen and whitening products(soap). Most of my white and asian(east indian) friends don't think too much of it most of my east indian friends use some type of whitening soap or cream, and I see it like tanning. There is only so light or dark one can get, so I think it is just a beauty procedure. However, a lot of black people seem to think it's worse than killing someone. Some black people have even taken offense to it saying "you are already light, so you must think I am ugly". When I had a youtube channel some people even insulted me for reviewing whitening products. Are these people just overly-sensitive? Or do some cultures view skin whitening as offensive?

No comments:

Post a Comment